Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Khowsey


Also known as Sherwa wali Khowsey or Burmese Khowsey.

Boneless Chicken cut into cubes 1 tray
Onions large 1
Adrak Lasan (Ginger and Garlic paste) paste 1 tbsp
Sa;t 1/2 tsp
Ajinomoto (Chinese Salt) 1/2 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric powder)1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Coconut Cream or Coconut milk unsweetened 1 can
Baisun (Gram Flour) 2 tbsp
Oil 2 bsp

Noodles - Angel hair or thin spaghetti
Spring roll wrappers or Flour tortillas

Cilantro chopped
Crushed red pepper
Lemon juice



Blend 1 large onion in blender with a little bit water in it to make it into liquid form. Now pour the onion in a pot with 2 tbsp of oil and let it simmer.



Cook until all the water is evaporated. Now add a tsp of Adrak and Lasan paste and let it brown lightly.


Now add the boneless chicken cubes and mix well.
Add the salt, ajinomoto,red chilli powder and haldi powder.

Mix well and bhoonj while stirring occasionally. Add a few tsp of water periodically and cook until chicken is done.



In a blender jug, add the coconut milk or coconut cream along with baisun (gram flour).


Blend well and add it to the chicken.


Cook the curry with the chicken well until creamy on top.



In a pot, boil angel hair pasta or thin spaghetti according to instructions on the package.


Pour water over it when boiled and transferred into a strainer.



Cut spring roll wrappers in thin strips and deep fry them until crispy.



Finally, to serve put the noodles in a deep plate and pour the curry over it. Sprinkle cilantro and crushed red peppers.  Add a few drops of lemon juice and top with the crunchy spring roll wrappers. Enjoy.








4 comments:

xspygrllx said...

this is the easiest and almost exact recipe my mother told just a few days ago. Think I will use the pics here and follow my moms recipe and hope it comes out perfect!

Anonymous said...

you are missing two key ingredients peanuts and fish sauce

mariam said...

the easiest N best recipe ever.After going through endless blogs ,I settled on this one.The pictures did it for me..My only regret is that I'd have made this in bigger portions.I ADDED lemon grass root 2da curry.

Anonymous said...

Hi I usually use beasan flour with water and evaporate milk mix together and boil I put 2 block chicken stock . .khowsey is burmese food ( i m burmese )and I used the chicken curry separately cook .we put noodle put chicken curry and spring onion with white beasan gravy .try it tast much more better .:) I been following u blog for over 1 and half years I love all the recipe u cook .i was so surprise u r cooking khowsey I :) .u know khowsey bez no one interest in burmese recipe .

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts..