Saturday, December 25, 2010

Caramel Pudding

This is one dessert that always bring fond memories of my childhood. And for one reason or the other, I was always ALWAYS intimidated to make this the traditional way at home yet was always secretly on the lookout for a shortcut. Whenever I was in the mood to eat this, I would get the Royal Flan mix and settle with it but hubby never seemed to be satisfied. I had company over this last week and I decided to make the traditional 'Patelee Custard' and asked around for recipes. Yasso and Nussie came to rescue again as usual. Now both recipe that I got differed a great deal so I decided to compromise and adapt from both and came down to the following version. Enjoy!

8 Eggs
4 cups Milk
1 tsp Vanilla 
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Slice white bread, crust removed

1/2 cup sugar for Caramel
1 tsp finely chopped Almonds/ Pistachios

Berries and Cool Whip, Optional


In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, sugar and vanilla.


In the meanwhile, pour the milk into a pot, warm it with a slice of bread.


Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla with a hand blender until well blended.

 Now add the warmed milk and the bread to the egg mixture and continue to blend until uniform. Keep it aside.
 In a non-stick pot, put half a cup of sugar and turn the heat on.
With a wooden spoon, stir it to get rid of all the crumbly texture. 


Keep stirring until the sugar becomes caramelized.
 Transfer it to a mould in which you will be making the pudding. I used a Bundt Cake pan.
Sprinkle the chopped nuts over it. 

Let it harden for a few minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 in the meanwhile. You will also need a bigger oven-safe pan that can be used as a water bath for the Bundt pan.

Lets get back to the Caramel. Pour the Pudding mixture onto the hardened caramel.


Nice and pretty already.

Now fill the bigger pot with water upto 4 inches. Place the Bundt pan carefully in the middle and transfer it to the lower rack of the oven.

Let it bake for atleast 45 minutes to an hour or even more if need be until a knife comes out clean when inserted. It should look firm on the top but not too browned.

Ofcourse I don't have the pictures because you know how I function! *You can insert a lame excuse here for not taking the pictures after this step on my behalf. Please post them in the comments section below.*
Picture Below:

Once its completely baked and firm enough, I turned the oven off and let it sit in the oven until it cooled down. Then I transferred it in the fridge. That was just my personal preference and I am not advocating you to follow the same. Right before serving, I inverted it onto a pie plate VERY CAREFULLY. Served it with Berries and Cool Whip. And yes, hubby is finally satisfied with the final result and would want it made again the same way.


By the way, if you must see what the last slice looked like, here is a peek.


2 comments:

JRFrugalMom said...

I have never tried this, but it sure sounds good.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

JR from
Frugality Is Free

JV said...

@ JRFrugalMom: Its really delicious. Whenever you attempt making it, do let me know what you think.

Wish you and yours a Merry Christmas as well. Enjoy the holidays!

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts..