Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chimichangas

Chimichangas is one Mexican dish that I can eat any time of the day (or night). Wake me up at three in the morning for a Chimi and I won't complain a bit. Promise. Try it. I want to make one right now. And the thing is.. this is super easy as I usually have everything on hand and it takes minimal effort to prepare it.
Please, make it today. Its a humble request!

1 pack Flour tortillas
1 can Red Enchilada Sauce
1 can Taco Bell Refried Beans
1 pk Shredded Mexican Cheese
Oil
Sour Cream
Chile Habanero Sauce or This One


On a griddle, nuke a tortilla until it becomes soft enough to be folded without cracking.

You will need these three stars to get the Chimichanga going


Lay the tortilla down flat and drop a spoonful of Enchilada Sauce.

Now flop a tablespoon or two full of Refried Beans. I prefer Taco Bell as it is the only vegetarian blend I could find. The rest I looked contained Lard.


Slop come Mexican Cheese on top. 
 Lengthwise, fold one side over.
 And now the other side.

 And then one of the side to make it a parcel.
 And then the other.
And now seam side down, carefully transfer it to a frying pan with a tbsp of oil.


You have two options here. If you are in a hurry (like me), just fry it until golden brown on both sides. To make it more authentic, just lightly fry it on both sides so it holds together and then transfer onto a baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes. The idea is to let the cheese and the beans and the sauce all blend in and do its magic. Whenever I have more time, I prefer the bake method!

And yes, I browned it a little too much. 

Done!

See, its that easy. Just drop, flop and slop everything and fold it up and fry it up! And serve it with Spanish Rice, Black Beans, Sour Cream, Chile Habanero sauce and shredded lettuce. 



This is Hubby's style.


Or just eat it on its own with the sour cream and the left over Enchilada sauce. 
My style.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts..