Monday, September 12, 2011

Pan-Grilled Steaks


I don't have the luxury of grilling my steaks the traditional way anymore so I have tried the Pan-Grilled Method and it turned out quite nice and juicy. Ofcourse I wanted to share it with you. Here it goes..

8 Veal Steaks, Lean and 3/4inch - 1 inch thick
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
Worchestershire sauce
Soy sauce
Mustard paste
Garlic Powder
Minced garlic
Knorr Demi-Glaze (If available)
Mashed Potatoes and Veggies for Side


Wash and pat-dry the steaks with a paper towel.


Marinate with salt, pepper, garlic powder and minced garlic and the soy sauce, worchestershire sauce and mustard paste. You could keep the seasoning simply by just seasoning it with salt, pepper and garlic as well. To each his own.



Leave it out at room temperature for atleast 1/2 hour upto 2 hours

I didn;t have a cast-iron skillet or a grilling pan at hand so I used a sizzler insert. Any cast-iron skillet/pan would do. If you are braver than I am, use a stainless steel pan..

Now heat the pan to medium hot and test it by flickering a speck of butter. If it sizzles and browns right away, you are ready for your journey.

Grease the pan with butter and slap a steak right onto the middle. DO NOT TOUCH the steak for the next five minutes. It wont burn, Promise! If you want the steak to have the pretty grill marks, I repeat, do not touch that steak! Put the timer on for five minutes and load your dishwasher.Or just empty out your dishwasher. Do anything but DO NOT touch that steak. I hope I have emphasized enough! PHEW!




Teeent Teeent!! Okay times up! Now flip your steak to the other side. Do not touch that steak for the next five minutes.. At this point, you should be able to see those grill marks!



In the meanwhile, prepare mashed potatoes the way you like it. I like the instant version where you just toss milk and butter into the potato flakes and whip it and microwave.. Easy!


Also prepare a veggie side if you like, I prefer the frozen veggies that are ready to steam in the bag. Listen, I am a busy (and lazy) Mom!! Don't lecture me on using fresh veggies..

Also, if you are fortunate enough to have the Knorr Demiglaze, prepare the sauce as well. If you don't, I will post a recipe soon (As soon as I am out of this good-stuff and won't have much choice to make my own)




Teeent Teeent!! Times up again to serve your steak.. If your steaks are thicker, it might need 6-8 minutes per side. If you are still unsure if the steaks are done, cut it into half while still on the pan and see if there is any redness. I prefer mine well-done but I know some prefer medium rare as well.

Ready to Serve! Plop some mashed potatoes on the side of the plate with a steak or two and drizzle the demi-glaze all over it.




And I prefer it with Sugar Snap peas (that's all I had in the frezer. If someones going grocery shopping, I can gladly handover my list)

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts..